Friday, January 12, 2007

Homage to the Calder Valley: The most beautiful place in the world







There's one little spot up i' Yorkshire,
It's net mich to crack on at t' best,
But to me it's a kingdom most lovely,
An' it holds t' warmest place i' my breast.
Compared wi' that kingdom, all others
Are worthless as bubbles o' fooam,
For one thing my rovin' has towt me,
An' that is, there's no place like hooam.

I know there'll be one theer to greet me
At's proved faithful through many dark days,
An' little feet runnin' to meet me,
An' een at(1) howd love i' their gaze.
An' there's neighbours both hooamly an' kindly,
An' mates at are wor'thy to trust,
An' friends my adversity's tested,
At proved to be generous an' just.

An' net far away there's green valleys,
An' greeat craggy, towerin' hills,
An' breezes at mingle their sweetness
Wi' t' music o' sparklin' rills;
An' meadows all decked wi' wild-flaars,
An' hedges wi' blossom all white,
An' a blue sky wheer t' skylark is singin',
Just to mak known his joy an' delight.

From Tykes Abrooad (W. Nicholson, Wakefield, 1911).

Walter Hampson.

2 Comments:

At 12:32 pm, Blogger The Paranoid Mod said...

Looks alright, I suppose...

 
At 2:15 pm, Blogger jacob said...

that truly is beautiful. lovely pictures. and thanks for stopping by at my hutch on the net.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home